Jess's Healthy Vegan Recipes
Here are some of my favorite recipes:
And my personal favorites from Veggie Heaven Cafe in Charlottesville, Virginia:
Rice Noodle Stir-Fry
- Begin by soaking 1 package of Thai rice noodles in water.
- Chop the following and set aside:
- 2-3 inches fresh ginger
- 4-6 cloves garlic
- 2-4 carrots (Julienne or slice into small strips)
- 1 bunch bok choy - the white stalk-chopped
- 1 8-10 oz can of sliced bamboo shoots
- 1 8-10 oz can of slices water chestnuts
- Heat a large skilled at med-high heat.
- Add the following:
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp tamari or Braggs liquid aminos
- Add garlic & ginger mix. Stir for 1-2 minutes.
- Add drained rice noodles. Stir.
- Add carrots and white bok choy mix, bamboo, and water chestnuts.
- Turn heat down to medium-low. Stir.
- Add onions and leafy bok choy.
- Add the following:
- 2 tsp toasted sesame
- 3 tsp tamari or Braggs liquid aminos
- Stir until noodles are soft but not soggy.
Wheat-Free Polenta Pizza
This process is a little time-consuming but totally worth it!
- Boil 6 1/2 cups water
- Add 2 cups yellow corn grits
- Stir constantly and add:
- 1 tsp salt
- *1 shaker soy parmesean cheese (optional)
- 1 tsp oregano
- Stir until thick (5 minutes)
- Spread mixture onto lightly oiled 12x16" to 16x22" baking sheet
- Put 1 Tbsp olive oil in large sauce pan, then add:
- 4 cloves garlic - minced
- 1 medium red onion - chopped
- Stir until color begins to bleach out of onion, then add:
- 2/3 lb crumbled tofu
- 1 can diced or crushed tomatoes with juice
- 2 small or 1 medium can tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black or white pepper
- 1/2 Tbsp dried basil
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Meanwhile, steam the following:
- 1 bunch broccoli, separated into small pieces
- 1 red pepper, sliced in thin strips
- 1 med-large zucchini, sliced and quartered
- Spread sauce on crust, add steamed veggies
- Add shredded spinach, shredded fresh basil, Kalamata olives, and (optional) shredded soy cheese.
- Cook for 3-45 minutes at 350 deg F.
Vegan Wedding Carrot Cake
- Preheat oven to 350 deg F.
- Mix together dry ingredients:
- 13 1/2 cups spelt flour
- 1/4 cup baking powder
- 4 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 4 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 4 1/2 tsp salt
- Mix wet ingredients well in separate bowl:
- 4 1/2 lbs tofu (blend until smooth)
- 8 lbs grated carrots
- 3 3/4 cups canola oil
- 9 cups sucanut
- 4 1/2 Tbsp vanilla
- 1 1/4 cups orange juice concentrate
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Fold into mixture:
- 3 3/4 cups chopped walnuts
- 3 3/4 cups raisins
- Smear oil and flour in around 4 pans of varying sizes.
- Bake for 30 minutes - 15 hours, depending on pan size.
- Let cool completely.
Creamy Glaze Topping:
- Blend the following:
- 2 1/4 lbs silken tofu
- 1 1/4 tsp salt
- 4 1/2 Tbsp oil
- 4 1/2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 13 1/2 Tbsp honey (or maple syrup or molasses to make it purely vegan)
- (may need to adjust or add agar flakes and arrow root for thickness)
- When cakes are cool, invert the largest cake and frost.
- Put the second largest cake (upside down) on top and frost.
- Smooth the frosting so that it's even and beautiful!
- Follow same stacking and frosting process with the 2 smaller cakes, now using a pillar stand as a base.
- Set the pillar stand on top of the bottom two layers.
- Decorate seams with pastry bag.
- Garnish with flowers or fruit.
Dairy-Free, Wheat-Free Maple Oatmeal Cookies
- Cream together:
- 1 cup soybean margarine
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Add in:
- 1 cup spelt flower
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 1/2 cup raisins
- 2 3/4 cup rolled oats
- Drop desired amount onto greased cookie sheet.
- Bake at 350 deg F for 15 minutes.
Spicy Mung Bean Noodles
- Boil water, remove from heat, and add:
- 4 packs mung bean threads
- After 4 minutes, drain noodles and run under cool water until cool.
- Toss noodles into a bowl, along with:
- In a sautee pan, heat 1/3 cup canola oil.
- 1 Tbsp chili flakes
- 1 1/2 cup roasted unsalted peanuts
- Let peanuts brown, but don't let the flakes burn.
- Pour over noodles and toss.
- Add in:
- 3 julienned carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped mint
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
Spicy Tofu Patties
- Marinate sliced tofu squares in mixture of:
- 3 parts water
- 1 part Tamari
- Let marinate for 3 hours.
- In a large skillet, heat just enough canola oil to cover bottom.
- Add tofu slices.
- Sprinkle with chili flakes and granulated garlic
- When tofu slices begin to brown, flip them over.
- Spread 1 Tbsp of Tahini on each tofu slice.
- Fry until brown.
- Serve hot or on a sandwich.
Sesame Shitake Seitan
- 2 1/3 lbs seitan, thinly sliced
- 1 lb shitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 large green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 1 tsp red chilis
- 1 bunch of green onions
- 3-4 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 inch of minced ginger
- Heat the oil.
- Add the chilis and sesame seeds and simmer until seeds are slightly toasted.
- Add seitan, garlic, and ginger.
- Cook until seitan is browned.
- Add shitakes and 1/2 cup water.
- When mushrooms begin to soften, add cabbage and onions.
- Saute just until all is cooked.