tripalot.com > forum

Reissues (Knitting Factory)

Awesome music from the King of Afrobeat!

Reissues (Knitting Factory)

Postby Tripecac on 2009-09-25 07:38:17

This week Knitting Factory records announced that they will be remastering Fela's entire catalog, including his Koola Lobitos stuff:

http://www.jambase.com/Articles/19689/Fela-Kuti-Reissue-Begins

This is great news for our ears, bad news for our wallets!
Tripecac
Site Admin

Re: Reissues (Knitting Factory)

Postby Tripecac on 2009-09-25 07:40:43

I'd love to know the release schedule, and what songs are planned for each CD.

Right now we only know of one release:

The Best Of The Black President (2009-10-27) -- The deluxe edition will be the same as the original issue, but with a bonus DVD of documentary and live footage.

Anyone know anything else?
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2009-12-23 15:59:44

Here's the Knitting Factory page about the reissues:
http://www.knittingfactoryrecords.com/artists/felakuti/news/knitting-factory-records-to-begin-complete-fela-reissue-series/

They say:
throughout 2010 we will remaster and reissue all 45 Fela titles in unique digi-packs with the original artwork and be issued on vinyl.

This implies that the reissues will be complete by the end of 2010.

FACT Magazine has a little more info (bolds are mine):
http://www.factmagazine.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4001&Itemid=26
The musical coincides with the Fela Kuti estate licensing his catalogue to Knitting Factory Records, a deal which will result in the re-issue of 45 Fela albums over the next 12 years. The programme commences in February 2010 with re-issues of The '69 Los Angeles Sessions, Live With Ginger Baker, London Scene / Shakara, Rodoforofo Fight, Open & Close / Afrodisiac and Gentleman / Confusion.

This implies that the reissues will take 12 years... Woah! Maybe they meant 12 months?

Anyway, nice to see that that CDs will apparently following the previous "2 albums on 1 CD" pattern.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2010-02-03 17:44:53

More info about the upcoming releases is here:
http://www.jambase.com/Articles/Story.aspx?storyID=21225

The important bit (with my bolds) is:
Knitting Factory Records has announced that the first set of Fela Kuti reissues will be released on February 16, 2010. Since the reissues are being made available in chronological order, these six CDs (containing nine albums total) represent the earliest period of the Nigerian legend's oeuvre.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2010-02-18 00:44:36

Knitting Factory has a box set here:

http://www.knittingfactoryrecords.com/artists/felakuti/store/

The Deluxe version (for $90) includes:
* Immediate digital download in 320kbps MP3 (plus free Apple Lossless file upgrade)
* 6 digi-pack CDs featuring original artwork, including:
Koola Lobitos/The '69 L.A. Sessions
Live With Ginger Baker
London Scene/Shakara
Roforofo Fight (+2 Singles)
Open & Close/Afrodisiac
Gentleman/Confusion
* Fela: This Bitch of a Life by Carlos Moore ~ the authorized biography of Africa's musical genius
* Limited edition, numbered Best of the Black President album cover screen print

There's also a digital-only version (for $40) and a non-deluxe CD version (for $60), without the book or print.

I still haven't found any reviews about the sound quality or liner notes. I'm curious just how much better they are than the previous reissues.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2010-04-19 11:06:56

The next 7 CDs are called "Na Poi" and are described here:

http://www.fela.net/na-poi.php

CDs include:
* Alagbon Close/Why Black Man Dey Suffer
* Expensive Shit/He Miss Road
* Monkey Banana/ Excuse O
* Everything Scatter/Noise For Vendor Mouth
* Ikoyi Blindness/Kalakuta Show
* JJD/Unnecessary Begging
* Yellow Fever/Na Poi

Downloads are $40
CDs are $60
Deluxe is $80; looks like it simply adds a T-shirt

I still don't know if there are any sonic differences between the reissues and the previous CDs.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2010-07-05 19:12:12

Anyone know if the Knitting Factory CDs sound better than the Wrasse ones?
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2010-10-21 17:16:26

After several months of emailing and googling various Fela-related sources, I finally got an answer to the question: do the Knitting Factory CDs sound better than the Wrasse ones?

The answer comes from Knitting Factory themselves.

Travis: Two years ago I bought all the Fela Kuti CDs issued by Wrasse Records. I've been reluctant to re-buy the Knitting Factory reissues, because I don't know whether they sound different from the Wrasse versions. Does the recent Knitting Factory "Best of the Black President" have the same the remastering as on the new issues? If I buy it, and it sounds the same as my previous best-of Fela CD, can I assume that the remainder of the Knitting Factory reissues sound like the Wrasse versions? Or were the individual Knitting Factory reissues remastered independently of the songs on "Best of the Black President"; do they sound significantly different?

Knitting Factory: There are very subtle differences...cleaning up some pops and crackles but not the dynamic range.

Travis: Are the "subtle differences" you mentioned between "Best of the Black President" vs the individual CDs, or between the Knitting Factory CDs vs the Wrasse CDs?

Knitting Factory: Between Wrasse and the KF recordings...

So there we go!

Is the removal of some pops and clicks enough to warrant a repurchase? Not for me, since I can perform the same type of noise reduction using an audio editor such as CoolEdit. And a little noise doesn't bother me as the dropouts and muffling which I hear in some of the recordings.

Maybe someday there will be a re-release with more extensive remastering and bonus tracks! Until then, however, I'll hang onto my old CDs and my $$$.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Users WATCHING this topic: Tripecac

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf Spacecat SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to this topic)

Users WATCHING the "Fela Kuti" forum: (none)

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf Spacecat SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K Tripecac WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to the forum)

Return to Fela Kuti