Software Development (15+ years) | Web Development (10+ years) | Technical Writing (10+ years)
Innovative, adaptable developer with broad and in-depth experience coding, testing, and maintaining robust software and web applications to meet diverse business objectives. Proven expertise in database development, manipulation, and management, providing stable and efficient back-end support to business systems. Skilled communicator and technical writer; able to translate user needs into practical, effective solutions and compose informative, accessible user documentation. Areas of expertise:
- Windows, Linux, UNIX, VMS
- Dreamweaver, Fireworks, UltraEdit, SVN, OpenOffice.org, Cakewalk Sonar, CoolEdit, Sony Vegas, Audacity
- Website & Web Application Engineering, Technical Documentation, Software Development Life Cycle, User Training Documents, Testing & Quality Assurance, W3C-compliant Websites, Effective Off-site Collaboration/Telecommuting
- Master of Computer Science
- University of Virginia, Charlottesville, Virginia
- Area of Research: Information Retrieval
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science
- College of William and Mary, Williamsburg, Virginia
- Lead Developer, April 2003 to Present
- CareerPerfect — Bellingham, Washington
- Within intercontinental telecommuting environment, hold full responsibility for developing, managing, and troubleshooting e-commerce, intranet, and extranet systems for leading online career management company. Manage Linux-based web servers and testing machines running Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. Administer development forum and wiki. Provide input regarding site/image design with regard to web usability and W3C standards. Created Flash elements for user applications and website content. Project highlights include...
- Drove end-to-end conversion of front- and back-end environment from legacy builds to W3C-compliant XHTML/CSS sites with enhanced user experience (UX), scalability, and functionality.
- Effectively orchestrated end-to-end testing of new features and functions to identify and resolve issues prior to going live; successfully mitigated/avoided impacts to user community.
- Created and manage development forum and wiki, streamlining and optimizing communication among departments and stakeholders throughout project life cycles.
- Spearheaded development and utilization of fully formed development server environment, supporting more rigorous and authentic testing prior to going live with new features/upgrades.
- Optimized database queries and tables to increase efficiency; additionally, leveraged CSS to improve website performance.
- Programmer, January 2000 to December 2002
- Boxer Learning — Charlottesville, Virginia
- Supported electronic learning programs through ongoing development of Java programs, intranet pages, and technical documentation. Composed user manuals, application specifications, and testing documents. Project highlights include...
- Developed Java applets for interactive demonstration of mathematical concepts and servlets used to track/manage user activities and account information.
- Spearheaded extensive system documentation and mapping to support ongoing development efforts and support business continuity.
- Programmer, January 1990 to December 2000
- Simpson Weather Associates - Charlottesville, VA
- Technological Scope: FORTRAN, C, X-Motif in Windows, UNIX
- Developed, tested, and maintained software applications for analysis/display of real time Doppler lidar signal data as well as air quality/stereoscopic profiling models; interpreted meteorological data records and completed stereoscopic photogrammetry. Played key role in integrating multiple applications within a single GUI. Designed and maintained company website.
- Teaching/Research Assistant, September 1997 to August 1999
- University of Virginia — Charlottesville, Virginia
- Technological Scope: PERL, C in UNIX
- Developed, tested, and evaluated information retrieval algorithms over the TREC testbed. Co-authored papers on database selection algorithms.
- Programmer, July 1995 to May 1997
- Rockwell International/Boeing — Arlington, Virginia & Anaheim, California
- Technological Scope: C/C++, X-Motif, FORTRAN, FoxPro in VMS, UNIX, Windows
- Brought on board to develop/enhance GUI applications used in CAD for naval ship topsides as well as utilities that facilitated documentation/porting of source code/data libraries. Composed user manuals and design documents. Selected projects include...
- Completed FDDI enhancement, including test planning, COTS integration, and message database revision.
- Developed and managed office web site.
Independent Programmer (1990 to Present) | Various clients, including multiple hobby web sites
Computer Programmer (1992 to 1994) | College of William and Mary - Williamsburg, VA
Last modified: 2011-07-05