[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4606: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4607: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
Trippy Chat • View topic - Upcoming Cope Gigs
tripalot.com > cope > forum

Upcoming Cope Gigs

Successor to Rail On (and The Culture Bunker)

Upcoming Cope Gigs

Postby Common Era on 2008-08-29 04:16:39

Slightly old news now, but there are a couple of upcoming gigs that are still worth announcing:

Liverpool Carling Academy
Friday, September 12, 2008

Part of the Erics' Presents series, with Pete Burns supporting. Billed as a solo/acoustic set, Julian will have other band members with him, so it won't be a totally solo show.
Tickets on sale now from or by calling 0844 477 2000.

Royal Festival Hall, South Bank Centre, London
Tuesday 18 November 2008, 7.30pm

Julian Cope returns to the Royal Festival Hall following the release of Black Sheep, 'a musical exploration of what it is to be an outsider in modern Western culture'.
Common Era
Regular

Postby Tripecac on 2008-08-29 06:05:41

Thanks for the info! Is that the same Pete Burns who was in those "New Merseybeat" videos on youtube:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=BKxYxTEazO0
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Spacecat on 2008-08-31 15:10:50

Got my Carling Academy ticket and looking forward to the gig.

That'll be him...it's the Pete Burns of 'Dead or Alive', he was in a group with Cope during the Eric's period (I think they only played the one gig)...
Spacecat
Regular

Re: Upcoming Cope Gigs

Postby Spacecat on 2008-09-23 01:02:00

A bit late but here's a bit of info on the Liverpool Carling Academy gig.....

Went for a quick pint in Ma Edgerton's (pub near the venue) and inside were Ian McNabb (Icicle Works) and Gary Dwyer (Teardrops drummer - got him to sign my Wilder & Zoology CD's) who were both attending the gig. Inside the venue I spotted a few more local musicians (inc. Ian Prowse of Amsterdam, & the Icicle Works bass player).
Waited around for what seemed ages before Pete Burns reluctantly came onstage at 10pm. The crowd were getting restless by now and he did get a bit of stick after singing along to a backing tape of his three big hits and then getting off.
Cope was up next and he came on by himself and through (went what seemed to me) a lot of Jehovahkill & Peggy songs with just him on guitar. Great stuff, and his banter with the audience was spot on. A few Teardrops songs were thrown in and a couple of Black Sheep songs ('Come The Revolution' was fantastic and the best song of the night for me). Here's a setlist taken from the HH site:

I'm Living In The Room They Found Saddam In
The Greatness & Perfection of Love
Double Vegetation
Madmax
Soul Desert
Pristeen
Robert Mitchum
Come The Revolution*
Sunspots*
All The Blowing-Themselves-Up Motherfuckers...*
Upwards at 45º
The Great Dominions
Treason
Safesurfer
Julian H. Cope
Hanging Out & Hung Up On The Line
My Way
Sleeping Gas*

*with band.

There was an aftershow party (which Julian did not attend) downstairs at the same venue. After a band called The Little Kites played, and just as I was thinking of leaving, we were treated to an a great appearance by Deaf School (legendary Liverpool band featuring Clive Langer who produced some of the Teardrops records). Off home for 3am - great night.
Spacecat
Regular

Postby Tripecac on 2008-09-23 06:29:18

Wow, thanks! That was fun to read! :)

So what did the rest of the band do while Cope was playing solo? It seems weird to only use them for 4 songs. Do you think the music sounded better with or without the band?

Do you often take CDs to gigs, in case you can get a signature? How do you decide which CDs to bring?
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Spacecat on 2008-09-24 01:43:52

From what I could see I think all of the band either stood or sat at the side of the stage, helping out in tuning up\changing guitars for Cope. All dressed like they were on the cover of Black Sheep - like some heathen rock n' roll army....

I'd say the Black Sheep songs with the band were a highlight for me, but Cope on his own didn't do no wrong.

Depending on which gig I'm going to, I'll decide on taking some CD covers in my pocket. Most of the bands I watch are based in Liverpool and you nearly always get other bands in the audience. Just something I've started doing a few years ago and I've got a good collection now.
Spacecat
Regular

Users WATCHING this topic: (Spacecat) (Tripecac)

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to this topic)

Users WATCHING the "Julian Cope" forum: Spacecat Tripecac

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to the forum)

Return to Julian Cope