[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4606: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4607: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
Trippy Chat • View topic - You Gotta Problem With Me
tripalot.com > cope > forum

You Gotta Problem With Me

Successor to Rail On (and The Culture Bunker)

You Gotta Problem With Me

Postby Common Era on 2007-06-26 04:32:13

Julian's new album is now out and available at Head Heritage. Just listening to it for the third time and I'm really digging it. CD2 is slightly stronger imho. Some really great songs on it that I think will become classic live songs. Definitely not a Brain Donor album! Hopefully the vinyl version will be out soon too.

http://www.headheritage.co.uk/yougottaproblemwithme

Buy it!
Common Era
Regular

Postby Tripecac on 2007-06-26 06:16:36

Thanks Andrew! Does it really sound like a return to Jehovahkill-era grooves (and production)?

I ordered it as soon as it went on Merchandiser (as always). Were you surprised by the quick shipping??? No more overseas waits for you! :)
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Common Era on 2007-06-27 09:10:03

Its great being local! Took two work days to get here after being ordered, plus they include shipping in the rpice of the cd over here. Parts of it are Jehovahkill like. I wouldn't put too much of a direct comparison on it though, to be honest. I think where the comparison ends is that most of it seems to have been performed by Julian himself, rather than working with a long list of musicians like he did in the Island days.

The song You Gotta Problem With Me is a good old krautrock freakout. Its definitely one of the strongest releases and should suit a wider Cope audience and keep them happy for a while. The more I listen to it the more I love it.

My only niggly comment is that I wish it was longer! Two 28 minute cds doesn't seem enough, but given how prolific Julian is, I won't dwell on this too much.
Common Era
Regular

Postby Tripecac on 2007-06-27 15:41:34

I kinda liked the Island days... Do you think he'll ever get back on a "real" record label (with a "real" producer), or does he seem to have locked himself into the DIY lo-fi habit?
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2007-06-28 08:57:31

I received <i>You Gotta Problem With Me</i> yesterday, and am on the third listen. Here's my impression so far:

1. <b>Doctor Know</b> - Starts slow, picks up, wants to be an epic, but lacks enough hooks and groove to catch my attention. The vocals are overdramatic and atonal. The muddy production quickly makes itself smelt. This song makes it clear that the album is gonna be a hit-and-miss-miss-miss slog-fest like most of Cope's post-<i>Interpreters</i> output. On the plus side, I like the fact that he's at least trying to rock on this track. It just doesn't sound as fun as <i>Skellington</i> or as cool as <i>Jehovahkill</i>, both of which are apparent precursors.

2. <b>Beyond Rome</b> - Short and pointless. It starts off sounding like the climax of a song (in a chaotic, not-so-cool way), and then Cope starts waiting about something inscrutable. And then it ends. Huh? There's no rhythm, no melody, no point (unless you can undertand and appreciate the lyrics).

3. <b>Soon to Forget Ya</b> - This starts with new-agey spoken word (zzzz) but then turns into out-of-tune chanting. Cope's got a great voice, but I wish he'd talk about something, um, <i>real</i>... When the groove finally starts, it's not bad, but then it quickly ends. Huh?

4. <b>You Gotta Problem With Me</b> - Energetic start, yelly Brain Donor vocals, upbeat rhythm section. I don't like the bleepy, screechy synths, though; they are wayyyy too loud in the mix, obscuring the cool drums and guitar. I gotta problem with the mix.

5. <b>They Gotta Different Way of Doing Things</b> - This starts off catchier than the title track, but isn't as powerful. I like the swinging feel. The deep vocals remind me of <i>Interpreter</i>; not bad. The lyrics are political, though, which is a big turn-off to me. Come to think of it, most of the songs' lyrics are political. Hmm. Well, I'm not into Cope for the lyrics. I like the grooves, and this song has a pretty good one. I just wish it had better production, longer solos, and a maybe a more memorable chorus.

6. <b>Peggy Suicide is a Junkie</b> - Brain-dead almost-heavy-metal riff bogged in bass-heavy production. The groove is dumb, the vocals sound dumb, and the solos are dumb. To be honest, this song seems completely pointless. Again, maybe the lyrics have value, but I don't listen to 'em so I can't count them.

7. <b>A Child is Born in Cerrig-y-Drudion</b> - Starts with acoustic guitar and deep, calm singing like something from <i>Skellington</i>. I like Cope's harmonies. Then the high organ part enters, then a hint of piano, then a bridge... It has the subtlety of the Cope of old, which is refreshing after being pummeled by Brain Donor for the past several years. The ending is a little heavy, but is short. I guess he didn't want to push his luck.

8. <b>Woden</b> - This is rhythmic and jangly. The vocals are high but not obnoxious; they aren't as mean and negative as the political stuff. The music is very repetitive, which I don't mind, but I kinda wish it had a climactic ending.

9. <b>Sick Love</b> - Slow, sludgy wailing harmonica and piano. Zero funk factor. What's the point? Then comes a horribly loud and shrieky guitar solo. This is like a bad 70s soul ballad. Yuck.

10. <b>Can't Get You Out of My Country</b> - Hey, this one is actually catchy! It's got a simple, head-bobbing groove, decent vocals, an energetic and memorable chorus, and not too many annoying sounds. The lyrics are political, though. And the production is muffled and yucky. If there were to be a single from this album (doubtful), I think this song would be it.

11. <b>Vampire State Building</b> - Aggressive, heavy, dark, slow. Despite the occasional puns (some funnier than others), this feels unsubtle and negative. On the positive side, at least it doesn't sound like Brain Donor. The martial drums are kinda neat.

12. <b>Hidden Doorways</b> - This sounds like a drum machine. So why's it so muffled??? Doesn't he have "line in" jacks? Or does he have to pipe everything through cheap mics? Where's the treble? The harmonies are nice, and the guitar is functional. It sounds like Cope did everything himself for this one. I'd like it more if it had a decent production. Is Cope going deaf???

13. <b>Shame Shame Shame</b> - The final song is pretty catchy, and has a decent mix. It starts with guitar and vocals, and eventually erupts into a peppy jam... But then it ends just as it's getting interesting. Sigh.

<b>OVERALL:</b> Hit and miss writing, decent performances, horribly muddy production. Cope needs a producer. A producer. A producer.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2007-07-03 10:58:00

Okay, I've listened to You Gotta Problem With Me about 5-6 times now.

Favorite moments:
- "Doctor Know" - the climactic ending
- "Woden"
- "Can't Get You Out of My Country"
- "Shame Shame Shame" - the end, which fades out wayyyyyy too quickly

Least favorite moments:
- "You Gotta Problem With Me" - the loud bleeping synths (which ruin an otherwise cool song)
- "Sick Love"
- "Vampire State Building"

Overall, I think it's okay. The production is rough, but I wish the writing and performances were more energetic and clear.

I can't help but compare this to the most recent Fall CD (Reformation Post TLC), which has lo-fi production but tons of cool, rocking, catchy moments. Catchiness is so important. Catchiness and a head-bobbing groove. Something that makes you want to move your body. Music needs to inspire some sort of physical activity for me to get into it, and Cope's recent stuff seems more cerebral (trying to make us think about politics and druids and spiritual emitting and stuff) than physical.

I'm looking forward to the next Rite release, whatever it's called.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Common Era on 2007-07-05 04:10:28

As far as I know the Rite series is now done and dusted, Rite Bastard being the final installment.

I wondered what American's would make of "Vampire State" as the lyrics are very anti-american! I am loving the new album. Once again, his influences are showing quite clearly, but that's ok.
Common Era
Regular

Postby Tripecac on 2007-07-05 05:52:42

I thought the next Rite(-esque) series is going to be called Do U Want This. Hopefully it won't veer off into Queen Elizabeth territory!

It would be interesting to hear the new songs live. I think most of my problem with it (ugh, yet another "problem" pun) is the production. Some of the songs have gotten stuck in my head (title track, "Shame Shame Shame", "Woden"), but whenever I actually listen to the CD I get distracted and frustrated by the mixes and the truncated climaxes. Why couldn't "Shame shame shame" have rocked out for another 5 minutes? I don't understand Cope's habit of fading out as soon as a song gets interesting. Maybe if he (and the band) were forced to practice and play live, they could sustain the energetic jams longer than a few tantalizing [but ultimately frustrating] seconds. He's blue-balling us!
Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Billy on 2007-07-07 21:39:41

Just received my copy today, and diggin' it!

Sagittarius being my birth sign, I understand Cope's need to scream about his world views. I do agree that he can say some mean things in some of his songs and he often comes off very cruel to some religions/cultures/people. I can't say that I agree with all the opinions Cope gives us, but I think Cope's latest releases (post-Interpreter) reveal Julian as having evolved a unique sound that enhances the effectiveness of his words. He's not giving us slick production because he appears to loathe it. What we've been fed by Julian is a diary-like journey into what the artist is immersed in at the moment. I would be disappointed if Julian attempted to duplicate the formulas used to produce "Saint Julian." I doubt if Julian listens to anything resembling "Saint Julian" these days. Well, everyone has their opinions and tastes.

So far, I like the 2nd cd most. More accessible than "Dark Orgasm." Give me a day, or so.
Billy
Regular

Postby Tripecac on 2007-07-08 07:58:00

Tripecac
Site Admin

Postby Tripecac on 2007-10-23 11:03:31

AllMusicGuide.com recently posted a solid review of You Got a Problem With Me: http://wm05.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=a ... frxzrgldfe
Tripecac
Site Admin

Users WATCHING this topic: (Spacecat) (Tripecac)

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to this topic)

Users WATCHING the "Julian Cope" forum: Spacecat Tripecac

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to the forum)

Return to Julian Cope