[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4603: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4605: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4606: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4607: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3774)
Trippy Chat • View topic - Doom the Roguelike
tripalot.com > roguelike > forum

Doom the Roguelike

Successor to Enscriptions

Doom the Roguelike

Postby Tripecac on 2008-07-15 11:34:37

I just played the latest version of Doom the Roguelike (version 0.9.8.10).

I made it to level 17 before running out of med kits. Pretty intense!

The map generation isn't too hot; sometimes you start off right next to the stairs down. Also, the keys are a little clunky.

However, it was actually a lot of fun, in a mindless sort of way. It really does have a Doom-like feel.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Re: Doom the Roguelike

Postby Tripecac on 2010-04-18 17:32:48

I tried this again yesterday (version 0.99) and actually had a blast (no pun intended)!

It's actually quite polished, very playable. The only thing I wish it had was a nice tutorial.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Re: Doom the Roguelike

Postby Tripecac on 2010-04-29 17:32:35

After playing DoomRL a couple more times, I realized that the levels are not random. There's actually very little variability from game to game. This unfortunately diminishes my interest in the game.

My longest game took a couple hours (I play slowly), and now that I know I will have to do exactly the same thing in order to get any further in the game, frankly, my interest is gone. The original Doom at least let you save and load, so that you didn't have to go all the way back to the beginning. DoomRL doesn't do that; once your character dies, your only option is to start a new game.
Tripecac
Site Admin

Users WATCHING this topic: (Tripecac)

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf Spacecat SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to this topic)

Users WATCHING the "Roguelike Games" forum: Tripecac

Users NOT watching: 3weezer3 Anjelica Billy Bob Crain BraziMan Common Era HeadOnist MVD Visual Madam Monkey Pilot Orangeskies Paulie Raf Spacecat SteveSubQ The Road Worrier Tony K WizardNeedsFoodBadly Zardoz almudeno69 architeuthis bailorgana bob d c_merengo cb2 chazza clemso darlenehill19 dnpblaze e3sa934 efried factory44 jezza joly kormos mark f missedexit montyclift proche shivaascending smart monkey socio spaceistheplace starsonic stephenray superbunny test test2 tripalot volos314 wcohn zephiloyd

(click your user name to toggle subscription to the forum)

Return to Roguelike Games